Mike Gladstone is a member of McCandlish Holton's Litigation Practice Group, where he counsels clients on matters related to civil litigation in injury and damages cases, commercial disputes, immigration consequences of criminal actions, and employment issues raised by immigration law.
Mike has broad litigation experience including matters involving personal injury and property damage, insurance and coverage, commercial matters, trucking, professional liability, product liability, immigration/removal, and worksite enforcement. He has successfully defended design professionals in construction defect matters. His product liability experience includes a focus on industrial machinery, warnings and labels, product development and introduction, and associated commercial issues. He obtained the first post-Kumho Tire exclusion of an Accident Reconstruction Expert in a trucking matter. He has successfully defended and asserted trade secret claims in State and Federal Courts.
He has substantial experience in the trial of catastrophic fire cases. He has extensive trial experience in the State and Federal Courts in Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
Mike is a frequent speaker to university, civic, trade and industry groups on employment related immigration issues. He has written and presented extensively on civil litigation topics including trucking and transportation, fire cases, and expert witness practice in state and federal courts.
He has spoken in Great Britain and Germany on U.S. immigration and product liability.
- Successful conclusion of trade secret matter under Virginia Trade Secret Act.
- Obtained waiver of inadmissability for foreign national allowing family to reunite in United States.
- Obtained Cancellation of Removal in EOIR trial for employee of Contractor.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national discount retailer in a $20M traumatic brain injury suit pending in USDC, Eastern Dist. of VA.
- Excluded the plaintiff’s liability expert through a successful Daubertchallenge in the USDC, Eastern Dist. of VA in claim against national discount retailer.
- Obtained $500K verdict for commercial property owner defrauded by construction contractor.
- Obtained $1.29M arbitration award for purchaser of business defrauded by seller.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an interstate trucking company and its driver in a $1.5M personal injury suit pending in the USDC, Western Dist. of VA.
- Excluded the plaintiff’s liability expert through a successful Daubertchallenge in the USDC, Western Dist. of VA in claim against trucking company.
- Martindale-Hubbell rated AV
- "Best Lawyers in America" for Commercial Litigation (2010-2018), Mass Tort Litigation (2009-2018), and Personal Injury Litigation (2010-2018)
- Virginia Super Lawyer, since 2009
- Virginia Business, "Legal Elite," Civil Litigation, 2014
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, Director (2004-2007), Member and Past Chair, Legislative Committee (1996-present)
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Civil Law Committee (2007- present)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Employment and International Law Committees)
- Defense Research Institute (Employment Law and Product Liability Committees)
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals (Journal Editor, Motor Carrier 2004-2007, Annual Meeting Committee, 2008)
- Hanover Association of Businesses and Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors 2010-2011; President 2011-2012)