Lawrence ("Lex") A. Dunn represents parties in a wide range of civil litigation matters including products liability; life, health, and disability matters; construction matters; trucking claims, insurance agent-broker liability, premise and retail liability, community association liability, and insurance coverage disputes. His experience also includes providing insurance coverage opinions, mediation, binding arbitration and inter-company insurance procedures. Lex has extensive jury trial experience in both Virginia state courts and federal courts.
Born in Norfolk, Virginia, Lex received his undergraduate degree in Economics from the University of Virginia and earned his law degree from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary. Following law school, Lex served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Bernard G. Barrow of the Virginia Court of Appeals. Before joining Morris & Morris, P.C. (merged with Mccandlish Holton, PC in 2015), Lex was a partner with a Norfolk, Virginia-based law firm specializing in insurance defense.
Lex is certified by the State of Florida, as an instructor for CE courses for insurance adjusters.
Currently, Lex serves on the Virginia State Bar Special Committee on Lawyer Malpractice Insurance, and as a parish council member for the Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
- Insurance coverage issues arising out of:
- Chinese Drywall claims
- Environmental claims and governmental claims/notices
- Community Association claims
- Trucking and motor vehicle accidents.
- 1st Party homeowner claims
- Asbestos product coverage issues
- EUOs for fire claims and fraudulent claims
- 1st party claims for property damage in various scenarios involving commercial general liability policies.
- Disability insurance policies
- Insurance policies for claims arising out of funeral and cemetery issues
- Life insurance policies
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage, since 2010
- Benchmark Litigation Star for Virginia, 2016, 2017
- Virginia Business Legal Elite, Civil Litigation, 2017, 2019
- Virginia State Bar Association, Committee on Lawyer Malpractice Insurance
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- ALFA International, Insurance Practice Group
- Chair, 2019
- Steering Committee Member, since 2004
- Council on Litigation Management
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- "Initial Strategy Considerations for Handling Coverage Opinion Requests." VADA Spring Sections Seminar, May 11, 2018, Boar's Head Resort, Charlottesville, Virginia
- “Update on Recent Decisions by the Virginia Supreme Court.” Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- “The Definitive Guide to Settling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims in Virginia” for the National Business Institute
- “The Science and Art of Allocating Insurance Coverage: The ‘Other Insurance’ Provision and Indemnity Agreements” for the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- “ALFA International Life, Accident and Health Insurance Claims Law Compendium” in the 2007 edition and Legal Ethics for In-House Counsel
- Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Parish Council Member