McCandlish Holton’s attorneys have decades of combined experience representing the Commonwealth and its agencies, cities, counties, other governmental entities, and constitutional officers. We have represented elected officials, public employees, regional jail authorities, law enforcement personnel, school boards, and other public agencies and commissions. We regularly represent these clients in litigation, guide and represent them through state and federal appellate processes, and provide counseling regarding compliance with state and federal laws.
constitutional & federal LAW
Our attorneys frequently defend governmental entities against federal claims involving alleged civil rights violations and allegations of employment discrimination. We defend suits brought under 42 USC §§ 1981, 1983, and 1985, as well as other federal statutes and regulations, including employment matters under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Rehabilitation Act, Title VII, and Title IX.
Our attorneys are familiar with the complexities of handling matters that touch on the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendments of the United States Constitution (e.g., free speech, discrimination, excessive force, unlawful search and seizure, unlawful entry, due process, and equal protection claims).
Our attorneys are adept at handling state claims such as false arrest, assault and battery, malicious prosecution, and defamation.
We counsel clients on state and local laws pertaining to elections, zoning, real estate transactions, and commercial lending.
McCandlish Holton’s attorneys are also experienced in representing clients regarding alleged violations of local codes and ordinances, and understand the constitutional standards and policies that must be considered.
- Obtained summary judgment in USDC EDVA against inmate accusing jail personnel of cruel and unusual punishment in violation of the Eighth Amendment.
- Obtained summary judgment in USDC EDVA against former employee accusing regional jail of employment discrimination in violation of Title VII, ADA, FMLA, and Rehabilitation Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in USDC EDVA against former employee accusing sheriff of violating Title VII.
- Obtained defense verdict at multi-day trail in USDC EDVA against former employee accusing constitutional officer of violating the FMLA.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial in favor of city against claim by local business claiming violations of local ordinance.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial in favor of local government employee accused of civil assault and battery.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial in favor of constitutional officer accused of failing to refund certain local fees.