Jessica is a litigator who focuses her practice on workers’ compensation. She defends employers and carriers at the trial and appellate levels. She works with insurance carriers, third-party administrators, and self-insureds. Jessica has represented employers in a broad range of industries including construction, manufacturing, transportation, hospitality, retail, local government, and healthcare. She has defended businesses of all sizes, from small entrepreneurs to Fortune 500 companies.
Jessica often advises clients on their duties under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act (“MSP”) and the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (“MMSEA”). She counsels clients on the submission of Workers’ Compensation Medicare Set Asides (“WCMSAs”). Jessica has years of experience submitting MMSEA queries and quarterly reports. She has resolved Medicare and Medicaid liens, and reviewed documents and policies for HIPAA compliance.
Jessica worked on some of the largest settlements in the country, including the historic NFL Concussion Settlement Program, the BP Oil Spill settlement, and the Reglan/MCP Settlement Program. Her background on these mass claims resolution programs gives her unique insight into the work of claims adjusters. Her service in a neutral role on these settlements allows her to approach complicated conflicts from a variety of perspectives. This experience and knowledge provide a valuable advantage in the mediation and negotiation of cases.
- Super Lawyers
- Virginia Rising Star, Workers' Compensation, 2009 - 2013
- CLE Instructor
- Advanced Workers' Compensation
- Benefits and Defenses Available Under the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act
- Independent Contractors, Casual Employees, and Volunteers
- Brain Injuries in Workers' Compensation Cases
- COVID-19 Claims: Everything you Need to Know
- Crossfire Claimant v. Defense: Opposing Views on Contentious Issues in Workers' Compensation
- Failure to Comply with Vocational Rehabilitation and Medical Treatment
- Getting the Most Out of Your Recorded Statement
- Get SMART: Recent Changes to Medicare Regulations
- Issues in Construction Cases
- Medicare Set Asides and sCHIP: Navigating the Red Tape
- Navigating the Electronic Data Interchange
- Overlooked Defense in Workers’ Compensation Cases
- Pssst...Lien over Here: Tips & Insights for Liens in Workers' Compensation Cases
- Understanding Virginia's "Arising Out Of" Requirement
- Workers' Compensation, Selected Topics
- Workers’ Compensation 101: Basic Training for Virginia Adjusters and Employers
- Workers' Compensation: A Legal Perspective