Jessica is a litigator who focuses her practice on workers’ compensation. She defends employers and carriers at the trial and appellate levels. She works with insurance carriers, third-party administrators, and self-insureds. Jessica has represented employers in a broad range of industries including construction, manufacturing, transportation, hospitality, retail and healthcare. She has defended businesses of all sizes, from small entrepreneurs to Fortune 500 companies.
Jessica often advises clients on their duties under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act (“MSP”) and the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (“MMSEA”). She counsels clients on the submission of Workers’ Compensation Medicare Set Asides (“WCMSAs”). Jessica has years of experience submitting MMSEA queries and quarterly reports. She has resolved Medicare and Medicaid liens, and reviewed documents and policies for HIPAA compliance.
Jessica worked on some of the largest settlements in the country, including the historic NFL Concussion Settlement Program, the BP Oil Spill settlement, and the Reglan/MCP Settlement Program. Her background on these mass claims resolution programs gives her unique insight into the work of claims adjusters. Her service in a neutral role on these settlements allows her to approach complicated conflicts from a variety of perspectives. This experience and knowledge provide a valuable advantage in the mediation and negotiation of cases.
Double-majoring in Psychology and Sociology at Virginia Commonwealth University, Jessica graduated magna cum laude. After graduating she worked at a local non-profit organization in the human services field. In law school at Wake Forest University she volunteered as a Guardian ad Litem, worked as a teaching assistant for a Legal Research and Writing class, and was selected to be a member of the AAJ Trial Team. She studied abroad in Venice, Italy, learning Comparative Company Law.
Jessica enjoys traveling and spending her free time with her husband, three sons, and rescue dog.
- Super Lawyers, Virginia Rising Star, Workers' Compensation, 2009 - 2013
- CALI Excellence Award - Legal Research and Writing
- VCU College Of Humanities and Sciences Distinguished Service Award
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Advanced Workers' Compensation, Sterling Education Services CLE, Instructor
- Benefits and Defenses Available Under the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act, Sterling Education Services CLE, Instructor
- Independent Contractors, Casual Employees, and Volunteers, Sterling Education Services CLE, Instructor
- Medicare Set Asides and sCHIP: Navigating the Red Tape
- Obesity and Workers' Compensation: Cutting Through the Fat
- Brain Injuries in Workers' Compensation Cases
- Overlooked Defense in Workers’ Compensation Cases
- Failure to Comply with Vocational Rehabilitation and Medical Treatment
- Get SMART: Recent Changes to Medicare Regulations
- Crossfire Claimant v. Defense: Opposing Views on Contentious Issues in Workers' Compensation
- Pssst...Lien over Here: Tips & Insights for Liens in Workers' Compensation Cases
- Navigating the Electronic Data Interchange
- Understanding Virginia's "Arising Out Of" Requirement
- Workers' Compensation, Selected Topics
- Issues in Construction Cases
- Workers' Compensation: A Legal Perspective