Samantha (“Sam”) Otero counsels employers and executives in all aspects of employment law. Sam routinely advises her clients on the requirements they face in hiring, employment policies, layoffs, discipline, EEOC Charges, discrimination allegations and wage and hour issues, including overtime and classification determinations. She also defends allegations of harassment as well as disputes arising out of employment contracts, including covenants not to compete.
Sam has extensive trial experience in federal and state courts across the Commonwealth, and routinely defends management before state and federal agencies in employment-related disputes. Her litigation background makes her well-suited to advise clients of the risks inherent in employment decisions, and she works with each client to develop alternative approaches to those decisions, if and when appropriate. Sam has an excellent grasp on each client’s interests and industry – whether the client is a staffing agency with over 1,000 employees or a health care provider negotiating an employment contract. Her approach to counseling is to collaborate closely with the client on solutions that best meet their needs, both present and future.
- 2014 Benjamin R. Lacy, IV Pro Bono Clearinghouse Volunteer
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2014-2020, Rising Star 2007-2008
- Virginia Business, "Legal Elite," Labor/Employment, 2005-2006, 2008-2009, 2011-2016, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law - Management, 2012-2018, for Employment Law - Individuals, 2014-2018, and for Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2014-2018
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association; Executive Council, Young Lawyers Division, 1996-1999
- Commonwealth Parenting, Board of Directors, 2011-2013, President 2013
- Children's Museum of Richmond, Member, Board of Trustees (2016-2019)
- Best Practices in the Hiring Process, Commonwealth Contractors Group Self-Insurance Association, 2015, 2016
- Let’s Get Practical: A discussion of common employment issues, Richmond Medical Group Managers Association, 2014
- Getting the 'Skinny' on Applicants and Employees, Richmond, Virginia 2013
- Human Resource Compliance for the Small Business Owner, Lexington, Virginia, 2013
- Top Issues in Employment Law, Hanover Chamber of Commerce, 2012