Michael is an Associate in the Litigation Practice Group.
His practice is primarily focused on Civil Litigation, specifically, premises liability and personal injury defense. Michael has experience advising clients who provide goods and services to the federal government on compliance with federal procurement regulations and navigation of federal programs, including litigating claims and coordinating ADR. He has represented clients before the Small Business Administration’s Office of Hearing and Appeals and the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals, as well as provided compliance support for clients with contracts with the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.
Michael is a former infantry officer in the United States Army with the 101st Airborne Division. He earned his J.D. at the University of Virginia School of Law. During law school, Michael interned with the Albemarle County Attorney’s Office where he worked on a termination of parental rights in a case involving severe child abuse and developed a negotiation strategy to deter additional armed protestors from participating in the Unite the Right Rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Lead associate in research and writing successful petition to the Small Business Administration’s Office of Hearings and Appeals for reconsideration of a denied Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness application; represented regional ophthalmology practice group.
- Coordinated alternative dispute resolution between two major construction firms for multi-billion dollar dispute over changed site locations and schedule delays.
- Manage successful settlement negotiations with multiple subcontractors of a national food services contractor during close out of Afghan refugee life support contract.
- Manage documents and discovery requests on behalf of a research corporation defending against a $1 million government claim at the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Developed the winning legal theory against $64 million government claim before Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Developed script and organized firm’s first remote deposition during COVID-19 pandemic.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Virginia State Bar Association | Member
- Virginia Military Institute Alumni Association Potomac River Chapter | Former President