Karissa is an associate in the firm’s litigation and local government practice groups. Karissa represents clients in the areas of personal injury defense, products liability defense, insurance coverage litigation, suretyship litigation, trucking defense, civil rights litigation, and civil appellate matters. Karissa regularly appears in state and federal courts throughout the Commonwealth and has tried multiple jury trials and many bench trials as a first chair litigator.
Prior to joining McCandlish Holton, Karissa gained valuable litigation experience as an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney prosecuting the sexual assault and domestic violence cases for her locality.
Following law school, Karissa served as a judicial law clerk to Judge Randolph A. Beales of the Virginia Court of Appeals.
- Achieved successful property damage settlement for trucking client regarding difficult-to-value attenuator.
- Garnered multiple defense verdicts in slip and fall cases for world's largest retailer.
- Obtained dismissal of Bad faith UM/UIM case in circuit court against national insurer.
- Achieved successful settlement after malicious prosecution complaint filed against retailer client in EDVA.
- Successfully argued a demurrer in circuit court on behalf of a national retailer client in a premises liability action.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (VADA)
- Richmond Symphony 20/30 Advisory Group (past)
Publications & PRESENTATIONS
- Speaker, “Strategies for Preparing for and Attending Settlement Conference” VADA Spring Seminar (May 9, 2019).
- Co-author, Discovery In Mortgage & Asset-Backed Securities Litigation, § 8:131–39 in MORTGAGE AND ASSET BACKED SECURITIES LITIGATION HANDBOOK, Thomson Reuters (December 2012).