Jennifer A. Minear
Jennifer is a Director in the Immigration Practice Group. Her practice focuses on employment-based immigration with a particular emphasis on the healthcare sector, including J-1 waiver and green card processing for foreign medical graduates.
Jennifer prepares both immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions and applications on behalf of foreign workers. Her areas of expertise include H-1B and L-1 nonimmigrant petitions, PERM labor certification applications, I-140 immigrant petitions, national interest waiver petitions, and I-485 adjustment of status applications. Jennifer also advises and represents clients on family-based immigration matters, immigrant self-petitions under the Violence Against Women Act, and citizenship applications.
Jennifer has published numerous articles on immigration issues ranging from J-1 waivers to green card options, to prevailing wage requirements. She has spoken, by invitation, at many national conferences and Continuing Legal Education Courses sponsored by the American Immigration Lawyers Association and other groups.
- Virginia Lawyers Media, “Influential Women in Virginia,” 2014
- International Who's Who Corporate Immigration
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Service Excellence Award 2014
- Virginia Super Lawyer "Rising Star"
- Virginia Business Legal Elite in Immigration Law
Professional and Community Involvement
- National Second Vice-President, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) (2017-present)
- National Treasurer, AILA (2016-2017)
- National Secretary, AILA (2015-2016)
- Elected Director, AILA Board of Governors (2012-2015)
- Past Chair, AILA Healthcare Physicians Committee
- Past Member, AILA Department of State Liaison Committee
- International Medical Graduate Taskforce (Past Chair, Government Agency Liaison Committee)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Quoted in: ABC News Radio: Foreign doctors filling shortages, communities who need them uncertain amid visa changes (June 2017)
- Quoted in: “Executive order aims to reform specialized visa program” in Internal Medicine News (May 2017)
- “Think Immigration: The New Front in the War on Immigrants – Administrative Action (September 2017)
- Co-author, “Arguing H-1B Cap Exemptions: Is Your Client Affiliated?” (June 2017)
- Quoted in: “Is Physicians Visa Program Ailing as EB-5 Spat Roils?” in Bloomberg BNA News (September 2016)
- Panelist and Co-Author: “Recent Proposed and Implemented Department of Homeland Security Initiatives Regarding High-Skilled Workers, STEM Students, and Entrepreneurs,” AILA Fall Conference (September 2016)
- Author: Fear Mongering in America, The Hill (December 2015)
- Author: “How Executive Action Could Heal Healthcare-Related H-1B Petitions” AILA Voice (Feb. 2015)
- Co-author: “Arguing H-1B Cap Exemptions: Is your client “affiliated?” (2015)
- Author, “PERM Regulation Via Smoke Signal Not Acceptable,” AILA Voice (May 2014)
- "Threading the Needle: Counseling the International Medical Graduate on options for Lawful Permanent Resident Status," in The Physician Immigration Book (2011)
- Co-author, "How Do You Solve a Problem Like ACWIA?: Prevailing Wage Conundrums for Academics and Researchers," in Immigration Options for Academics and Researchers (2011)
- “Getting the Green Card on the Five Year Plan: National Interest Waivers for Clinical Physicians,” in Immigration Options for Physicians (3rd edition, 2009)
- Co-author, “Clinical J-1 Waivers – A Primer,” in Immigration & Nationality Law Handbook (AILA, 2009-2010 edition)
- Panelist: Arguing H-1B Cap Exemption, AILA Annual Conference (June 2017)
- Panelist: Hot Topics in U.S. Immigration, AILA Annual Conference (June 2017)
- Panelist: Immigration Solutions for Allied Healthcare Professionals, AILA Teleconference (April 2017)
- Panelist: High-Skilled Workers Final Rule, AILA Teleconference (December 2016)
- Panelist: Hot Topics in Immigration, AILA Rome District Chapter Fall Conference (October 2016)
- Panelist: Hot Topics in U.S. Immigration, AILA Annual Conference (June 2016)
- Panelist, PERM Labor Certification for Physicians, AILA (2015)
- Panelist, AILA Annual Conference (2014), “Can We Get a Doctor in the House?” (Physician Immigration Options)
- Panelist, ILW.com Series (2014), "Foreign Physician Immigration Options for Experts"
- Panelist and Discussion Leader, AILA Annual Conference (2013), “J-1 Clinical Waivers for Physicians”
- Panelist, AILA Rome District Chapter Conference (2012), “Beyond Au Pairs and Camp Counselors: Successful J Visa Practice”
- Panelist & Discussion Leader, AILA CLE (2012), "J-1 Waivers In-Depth"
- Panelist, AILA Annual Conference (2011), "Coping with the H Cap"
- Panelist & Discussion Leader, AILA Annual Conference (2009), “Don’t Wager My Waiver: J-1 Waivers for Clinical Physicians”
- Panelist & Discussion Leader, AILA Conference (2009), “Immigration Options for Physicians: Advanced Strategies for Providing Proper Diagnosis and Treatment”
1111 East Main Street
P.O. Box 796
Richmond, Virginia 23218-0796
call (804) 775-3822
fax (804) 775-7295
- Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2001
- University of Maryland (College Park), cum laude, English & History, 1993
- Virginia 2001
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit